In the event of an account-related support issue, Microsoft will use your security information to help rectify the problem. For this reason, it is important that you set up at least one additional sign in method by adding an alternate email address and/or phone number to your account. This way, Microsoft can send you a security code through one of these channels to verify your identity if you’ve forgotten your password. It also helps to protect your private information in the event someone else tries to access your account.
Your security information should always remain up to date. For example, if you get a new phone number or lose access to your alternate email address, then your security information should be updated to reflect these changes.
How to Update Your Security Information
- Open internet browser
- Go to www.office.com
- Sign in to your Microsoft Account
- Click on your profile icon in the top right corner
- Click on ‘view account’
- Click on ‘update info’ in the Security info panel
- To forcefully sign out any devices currently signed in to your Microsoft account, click on ‘sign out everywhere’
- To add an email or phone number, click on ‘+ add sign in method’
- You’ll be asked which method you’d like to add, choose email or phone number from the drop down menu and click ‘add’
- Enter email address or phone number
- A verification code will now be emailed or texted to you
- Enter verification code